Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Arizona
This 133-square-mile park is on Navajo Nation land in northeastern Arizona. The floor of its deep canyon has been farmed by indigenous people for thousands of years, and it continues to be farmed today by their descendents. This park of red sandstone cliffs was established in 1931. The name Chelly is pronounced as "shay," one syllable and a long a sound.
This very remote park is in southeastern Arizona, bumping up against New Mexico. These rugged mountains were the stronghold of the Apache Indians until the 1880s, including Geronino and Cochise. It was established in 1924 primarily to protect its many hoodoos and balanced rocks.